I grew up in Cologne,
Germany. In 1981 - 1982, I studied History and Social Sciences at the University of Cologne.
From 1982-1987, I studied Computer Science at the University of Erlangen,
where I received a Diplom-Informatiker degree (with distinction). In
1987, I continued studies at the Georgia
Institute of Technology, where I received the PhD degree in
Computer Science in December 1991. During 1990 and 1991 I did my
dissertation work partly at the IBM
T. J. Watson Research Center.
In January 1992, I became a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Computer Science Division at the
University of California, Berkeley. In Fall 1992, I joined the Computer Science
Department at the University of Virginia where I went through the
ranks of Assistant, Associate and Full Professor. From 1997-1998, I was
an Associate Professor in the
Department of Electrical
Engineering of Polytechnic University (later: Polytechnic Institute of NYU, now: NYU Tandon School of Engineering). In Fall 2005, I joined the Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of
Electrical and Computer Engineering of the University of Toronto as the Nortel
Chair of Network Architecture and Services.
- IEEE Fellow (class of 2008) "for contributions to the design and analysis of computer networks and their protocols".
- TCCC Outstanding Service Award, IEEE Communications Society, 2006.
- NSF Research Initiation Award in 1993, NSF CAREER Award in 1996.
- University of Virginia Teaching and Technology Fellow 1995-1996, Virginia Engineering Foundation (VEF) Faculty Fellow, 2002-2005.
- Editorial boards: IEEE/ACM Transactions
on Networking (1999-2005, steering committee 2004-2005),
IEEE Network (1997-2003), ACM/Springer
Multimedia Systems (2001-2005),
Journal (1996-2003), and Cluster Computing (1998-2004), Computer
- Editor in Chief: IEEE Network (1999-2000)
- Chair of 16th IEEE Workshop on Computer Communications
(CCW'01), Co-chair of the 10th International workshop on Quality
of Service (IWQoS 2002), Program Co-Chair of the 11th IEEE
International Conference on
Network Protocols (ICNP 2003),
Co-General Chair of 5th ACM International Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies (ACM CoNEXT 2009),
Co-General Chair of ACM SIGCOMM 2011.
- Program committee member of many conferences on networking
and related areas (Infocom, Sigmetrics, ACM Multimedia, Sigcomm, ICNP, IWQoS, RTSS, etc.)
- Co-organizer of ACM Sigcomm Workshop on Networking
Education, 2002 and 2003.
- Elected to IEEE Communications Society Board of Governors
- Internet2 Network Research Liaison Council (2002-2007).
- Vice-Chair of Communications Society of Internet Technical Committee (ITC), 2006-2007.
- Chair of Communications Society Technical Committee on Computer Communications (TCCC), 2004-2005.
- Member of IEEE ComSoc, IEEE Computer, ACM Sigcomm, ACM Sigmetrics.
- Co-author of Best Student Paper Award at ACM Sigmetrics
2005 (with F. Ciucu and A. Burchard).
- Co-author of textbook “Mastering
Networks: An Internet Lab Manual”, (with M. El