- June 20th—my papers with Mansoor Yousefi, entitled
Information Transmission using the Nonlinear Fourier Transform, Parts I-III, published in the July 2014 issue of the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory,
are named as the winner of the 2018 IEEE Information Theory Society
- June 18th—I am named a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering.
- May 22nd—I deliver the 2018 Padovani Lecture, entitled An Introduction to Lattices and their Applications in Communications.
- Feb. 1st—Welcome back Umberto Martinez-Peñas, who re-joins
us as a postdoctoral fellow after completing his Ph.D. at
Aalborg University, Denmark, last year.
- Dec. 19th—Farewell to postdoc Christopher G. Blake, who
joins Borealis AI.
- Sep. 5th—Welcome to new group member Alvin Sukmadji. Alvin
is a graduate of our very own ECE program.
- Aug. 17th—Arrivederci postdoctoral fellow Alberto Ravagnani!
Alberto will continue as a scholar at the
Claude Shannon Institute,
University College Dublin.
- Jun. 7th—Welcome to new postdoctoral fellow Qun Zhang, who
joins us from the University of South Australia.
- May 31st—Congratulations to Reza Rafie on being
selected to receive the prestigious Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship!
- May 29th—This redesigned web site is released.
- Jan. 12th—Congratulations to Lei M. Zhang for successfully defending his
- Jan. 11th—My last day as Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. Very best wishes to my successor, Prakash Narayan!
- Dec. 7th—Congratulations to Christopher G. Blake for successfully defending his Ph.D.
- Nov. 27th—I am named as a “TUM ambassador”. I am more
than happy to say good things about TUM!
- Nov. 2nd—Welcome to visiting Ph.D. student Umberto Martinez-Peñas,
from Aalborg University, Denmark,
who will be visiting until next March.
- Oct. 27th—Welcome to new postdoctoral fellow Alberto Ravagnani, who joins us from the University of Neuchâtel.
- September—Welcome new group members Susanna Rumsey, Bo Lian, and Amir Tasbihi. Susanna is an Engineering Science grad; Bo joins us from McMaster U.,
and Amir joins us from U. of Waterloo.
- Jul. 12th—I am surprised and delighted to be awarded the
Aaron D. Wyner Distinguished Service award of the IEEE Information Theory
- Jun. 30th—Delivering Plenary Lecture at IC Research Day, EPFL.
- Jun. 24th—Congratulations to Siddarth Hari for successfully defending
- May 24th—Welcome to visiting Ph.D. student Netanel Raviv from
the Technion, Israel, who will be visiting for the next ten weeks.
- Apr. 13th—Congratulations to Siyu Liu for successfully defending his Ph.D.
- Apr. 4th—Delivering a lecture on “Digital Communication
over Optical Fibers” at the 2016 European School of Information
Theory in Gothenberg, Sweden.
- Mar. 8th—Congratulations to Chunpo Pan for successfully defending her Ph.D.
- Nov. 9th—Delivering Plenary Lecture on “Fiber-optic
Communication via the Nonlinear Fourier Transform” at the
49th Asilomar Conference in Pacific Grove, CA.
- Oct. 16th—Goodbye and best wishes to postdoctoral fellow
Christian Senger, who returns to Germany to start an academic
position at the University of Stuttgart!
- September—Welcome new group member Reza Rafie, who joins us
from the University of Alberta.
- Jul. 9th—Congratulations to Siyu Liu for receiving the Best Student
Paper Award (2nd place) at the 14th Canadian Workshop on Information Theory
in St. John's.
- Jan. 1st—Start of a five-year term as
“Distinguished Professor of Digital Communication”.
- Nov. 13th—Delivering a lecture on “Lattices and their
Communications Applications” at the 2014 Australian School of Information
Theory in Adelaide. Many thanks to Chen Feng for his invaluable help with the slides!
- September—Welcome new group member Masoud Barakatain, who joins us
after completing his M.A.Sc. in Prof. Valaee's group in our department.
- Aug. 21st—Delivering an invited talk on “Staircase Codes”
at the Turbo Code Symposium in Bremen, Germany.
- Aug. 14th—Congratulations to Chen Feng for successfully defending his Ph.D. He will continue his academic career as an NSERC Postdoctoral fellow
working with Profs. Nazer (BU) and Gastpar (EPFL).
- Jun. 25th—Delivering the Plenary Lecture at SPAWC 2014 in Toronto.
- June 2nd—Congratulations to Siddarth Hari for receiving the
Best Student Paper Award (1st place) at the 27th Biennial Symposium on
Communications in Kingston.
- May 22—I am delighted to receive a Departmental Teaching Award!
- Dec. 15th—My first day as Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory.
Many thanks to my predecessors Ioannis Kontoyiannis
and Helmut Bölcskei!
- Oct. 11th—Welcome to Joschi Brauchle, a visiting Ph.D. student
from Technical University of Munich, who will stay with us for a month!
- Aug. 7th—Arrivederci postdoctoral fellow Felice Manganiello! Felice will
join Clemson University.
- Jul. 11th—Congratulations to Mansoor Yousefi for winning the
Jack Keil Wolf Student Paper Award at ISIT 2013 in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Apr. 10th—Welcome new postdoctoral fellow Christian Senger, who
joins us from Ulm University!